Friday, February 18, 2011

Hey Bama...How does your Tide Roll?

Harvey Almorn Updyke, 62, of Dadeville, has been charged with criminal mischief. WTVM-TV attributed the news of the arrest to a source at the Lee County Justice Center.

Bond for Updyke was set at $50,000.

A University of Alabama fan admitted to using an herbicide applied in lethal amounts to kill the Toomer's Corner oaks at Auburn University in an escalation of the schools' football rivalry.


We all want to leave a legacy.  None of us want to move on from this world and be forgotten.  We are hopeful that at least one person will think of us years from now with some fondness.  Don't we? 

Well, I guess you can say one Alabama fan is likely not to be forgotten anytime soon.  "What's up with that?", as my 8-year old would say.  I mean, come on buddy, get a grip.  I understand being a die-hard fan...I'm married to one.  I get the idea of pulling for your team no matter what.  I understand that football in the SEC is a religion.  I'm not the biggest football fan, but I get it.  Really, I do!

But, I don't get the idea of poisoning a couple of beloved trees to make a statement.  I just don't.  And at 62 years old?  There is a time and a place for pulling for your team.  Surely, during this whole process of getting the chemicals, priming the syringes, and injecting the trees, there was a moment when Mr. Updyke had to hear a little voice inside of his head that said, "This might not be the best idea?"  I think 99.9% of America can agree on this. 

So, tomorrow afternoon as all the orange and blue tree-huggers come out to Toomer's Corner, I say, get your hug on!  The VOL fans in our home support you and shake our heads about this one.   And to my brother-in-law that pulls for the Tide...you may want to take a step back from this one, buddy! :)

War Eagle!



By Dave Martin, AP
Nick Saban and Gene Chizik released a joint statement Friday addressing the situation. From USATODAY

"This is an isolated incident by one individual that is not representative of what the greatest rivalry in college football is all about," the statement read. "The players and coaches at both schools have a tremendous amount of respect for each other on and off the field, and we encourage our fans to show that same amount of respect now and in the future. We will move beyond this regrettable incident and continue to enjoy this great rivalry."

No comments: