Friday, December 10, 2010

Creature of Comfort

I am a creature of comfort.  I like comfortable things.  Such as: mashed potatoes, warm corduroys, my cozy bed, rubbing my dog's soft ear, a warm shower, a beautiful flower grown in my yard,  my flannel pillowcase, and snuggling on a lazy Saturday morning. I don't live a very hard life.  I am able to take time out to relish the gifts and luxuries that I have.


However, I am starting to have a very short fuse for things that do not comfort me.  Such as: friends that complain over the minutiae, politicians that can't think for the affluent, the poor and everyone in between, those who can only see their own problems rather than focus on what is going on in our world, or people who turn out to be different than what you initially thought.  

It is hard to be let down.  It is difficult to leave that comfortable spot because something wasn't what it seemed.  I am starting to choose not to fall prey to these prickly situations.  I am avoiding the drama whenever possible.  It's not who I am anymore.  I'm no longer in it to win it, to endure the junk or clutter in relationships.  As one of my dear friends has always said to me, "I'm not always taking applications for new friends." 
I would like to think that I am older and wiser...but I know that is a lie, for I'm not very old and far from wise.  I tend to think that I am able to see what's important to me, what matters the most.  I am able to make time for most any and everything, but it is getting harder and harder to want to make time for that junk and clutter that I find around me every now and again.  A tremendous mother of four once told me that it was just too hard to put up with the excess when you already have so much going on in your house.  Maybe, my wagon is already full enough without the excess drama.

I don't really have a solution to this problem today.  I know the human race is not going to change all that much.  It's just where I am at this day and time.  It's who I am right now in my life.  I like comfort.  I want to be in my comfort zone.  It makes me happy.  It is where my heart is.  And today, I'll just follow my heart. 


No comments: