Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Let There Be Peace

Let there be peace on Earth and let it begin with me.  As a young girl, I would sing this song each year in our school Christmas pageant.  It always evokes sweet memories of innocence and simplicity for me. 

As I was driving around running errands today, I heard this song on the radio sung by a young child.  I was instantly taken back to the days of my youth.  I thought how easily the words rolled off my tongue as I sang along.  I also began to think how easily the words were said with very little meaning. 
It made me think, is peace beginning with me?  What am I putting out in the world?  And if peace is supposed to begin with me, where am I supposed to start?  Should I think big?  Or would it be better if I took baby steps toward my goal of peace? 

Well, I am much to tired and cold on this December night to think about starting with a bang.  I know, go big or go home, but I just can't go big tonight.  So, I will begin to think about baby steps.  What about here in my home? 

Just tonight, I huffed and puffed when answering the Straight Hair.  He turned to me and said, "I'm sorry you are tired tonight, Mommy."  Eeeekk...that's not the best foot forward on my walk in the footsteps of peace.  If I'm not showing my boys peace and responding in kind words, I might as well not put my feet on the floor in the morning.  So there's a place to start...Let there be peace on Earth, and let it begin with me here within the walls of my home.

Where can yo start?  How will peace begin with you?  Feel free to leave some thoughts....

No comments: