Saturday, December 11, 2010

Sister

If you don't understand how a woman
could both love her sister dearly and
want to wring her neck at the same time,
then you were probably an only child. 
~Linda Sunshine

Today is about my sister.  You see, I dedicated a whole blog entry to my brother on his birthday.  It was easy to remember to do it.  He was turning forty...becoming an old man...moving into the range of a mid-life crisis.  But, then my sister's birthday rolled around, and nothing.  I wrote nothing.  I simply forgot. 

My sister and my oldest son share the same birthday.  I spent my day focusing on his sweet day.  I called her, but really nothing more.  Oh, you can believe she had something to say about that!

So, today is all about her. 

It's all about how she has always been a strong person dedicated to those around her that she loves.  Every single day of the school year, she selflessly goes to school giving all of herself to a roomful of special needs children that struggle with the most simple of tasks.  She never really complains about the physicality of her job.  She's a bird of a person.  It must take its toll on her body.  But, she doesn't mention it.  She goes about her life.

She is utterly devoted to her children.  No task is too big for her for her boys.  She was born to mother.  She is willing to put aside all of her needs to focus on them.  She was born in my family, and for this, I am beyond glad. 

We are several years apart.  Our personalities are different.  We grew up in different times within our family.  But, we are able to span the differences to reach out to one another.  We are able to understand one another and offer kind words.  We are able to "be" for one another and that is enough.  Love you Loring.  Hope today is happy for you! 

To the outside world we all grow old. 
But not to brothers and sisters. 
We know each other as we always were. 
We know each other's hearts. 
We share private family jokes. 
We remember family feuds and secrets,
family griefs and joys. 
We live outside the touch of time. 
~Clara Ortega

No comments: