Wednesday, October 27, 2010

If not now, then when?


I have this problem...I rush and rush and don't really take the time to stop and smell the roses.  I'm not paying a bit of attention to where we are going as a family.  It always seems as if someone needs something or wants my help around here.  I take care of them.  I take care of me.  But, I don't really stop to savor the everyday blessings in between.  I mean, I am blessed beyond measure and rarely drop to my knees to say, "Thank you God for all that I have been given!!"


The Tiniest Hair is almost eight months.  I really can't believe it.  Time has flown by without us noticing.  Because of a lack of viable bedrooms for him, he is still sharing a room with his father and me.  I've never had one of our babies in a room with us this long.  I usually ship them off to their own by the time they are sleeping well so that that everyone involved will sleep better.  While this does seem like a sensible plan, I did not realize the sweet things I have been missing. 

You see, each morning, Tiny Hair wakes up without a wail or scream.  Instead, he slowly wakes up making the most delectable little cooing sounds I have ever heard.  He sometime squeals loudly just to hear himself.  The Committee and I don't move as not to spook or stop him.  Instead, we listen to our tiniest little creature explore his abilities. 

Just recently, however, he has mastered sitting up.  He loves to slowly wake up and then sit up to play in his crib.  If he thiks he is alone, he is content to play for a while.  Each morning, I peek over my pillows and covers to see his pudgy little tummy curled over his diaper.  His head is usually bent staring at his feet.  He slowly glances over to me and instantly lights up.  His eyebrows incline quickly and his lips curl.  His smile is the best early morning reward for me. 

A couple of years ago, I went to see Amy Grant in concert with the Memphis Symphony.  She said that each morning she would lie in bed and repeat Psalm 118:24, "This is the day the LORD has made; let me rejoice and be glad in it" until she would believe it and let it shape her day.  It made total sense to me, as some days it is hard to believe that I will be rejoicing placing my feet on the ground and going about my daily business. 

But, when I see this sweet face light up by just looking at me, it is so hard not to rejoice at the gifts that have been bestowed upon me.  When he coos or squeals, I think about how he is exploring his world in his own way.  I have been given this little person that has grown from cells in my tummy to an angel here in my home.  I move quickly throughout my day without savoring his presence.  If I don't slow down now and bask in this day that has been made by Him, then when?  When will I rejoice and be glad in it?  Each day is a gift to be opened.  I should love the memories I am creating these days, rather than looking back on the memories in several years when all is quiet and love what little I am able to remember.

The Tiniest Hair is too precious to overlook.  He is a blessing the LORD has made; let me rejoice and be glad in him!

A baby will make love stronger, days shorter, nights longer, paychecks smaller, homes happier, clothes shabbier, the past forgotten, and the future worth living.

No comments: