Friday, October 1, 2010

Our Little Toes


As I sank down in the couch the other night, I was running through our day's day for The Committee.  I do  this most nights to let him know what happened in the life of our family while he was away at work.  I think I also do it so that I feel validated, and hope he won't assume I was eating bon-bons all day.  Oh, I wish!

Anyway, I was telling him one tale after another.  I filled him in on my tasks at hand, etc., etc.  He quickly stopped me and told me that did not amount to what he did. 

He said, "I snipped nails on 80 digits today. How many people can say that?" 

You see, clipping nails is a boy job in our house.  We have always divided tasks into boy jobs vs. girl jobs.  For example, taking the trash out is a boy job.  Cooking dinner would most definitely be a girl job. 

Each week, he clips all the nails of the boys.  They are used to it...no one really runs away with the wild banshee scream...so we call that a success in our house.  We both laughed, then it made me think of the things other families miss out on when they stop at one or two children.

80 digits that need to be clipped...constant play dates that never end...going shopping for new clothes means going to a brother's closet...toys that span the generations...the list goes on and on...share some of yours if you'd like.

What have you done today? 

Each day, awakening, are we asked to paint the sky blue? Need we coax the sun to rise or flowers to bloom? Need we teach birds to sing, or children to laugh, or lovers to kiss? No, though we think the world imperfect, it surrounds us each day with its perfections. We are asked only to appreciate them, and to show appreciation by living in peaceful harmony amidst them. The Creator does not ask that we create a perfect world; He asks that we celebrate it.  ~Robert Brault


No comments: