Friday, October 15, 2010

The Price of Sacrifice...



Recently, I read The Ocean Between Us, by Susan Wiggs.  It was a really great book about a Navy family that sends the father of their family out on deployment and how this affects the entire family unit.  The mother in the book was expected to be so much to so many.   I loved it, plus the romance in it is endearing to me!  :) 

The book really spoke to me about the things that I take for granted and what military families endure at the cost of our American freedom.  As I go throughout my day, I may complain about one insignificant hardship or another... overlooking the fact that my husband is coming home to my bed that night rather than a bunk many time zones away.   

If you sit down and think about the price these families pay, it will speak to your soul.  There are so many things that must be accomplished alone, all while fighting the niggling fear of injury.  I truly can't imagine!

Today, I stumbled upon a friend of a friend's facebook post.  She just welcomed her husband home from a year's deployment this week.  I had to share this because it was so amazing to read.  An everyday family living a commendable life here in Middle Tennessee.

Lessons Learned from This Deployment.....

~ The first week is still ALWAYS the worst.

~ Anyone that takes for granted the freedoms they live everyday should be required to witness the bedtime prayers of a four year old little boy who’s Dad is deployed. 

~ My prayers include thanking God for a “normal” day and praying the next one will be just as boring. 

~ I am thankful for the friends who check in on me in the middle of the night, and can tell by the response from a text that I just need to hear a voice. 

~ I have amazed myself at how little amount of sleep I can have and still function. Thank you, God for caffeine. 

~ When Clift used to come home, the house was spotless, the laundry was caught up and the kitchen was stocked with all his favorite foods. This time around I was just grateful that everything that was breathing when he left was still breathing when he came home. 

~ You are only as tall as the shoulders you stand on. And, you are only as strong as the ones you cry on. 

~ My kids are the strongest, most resilient little people I have ever known. I’ve seen them suck it up, and I’ve seen them let it out. They are true examples of sacrifice. 

~ Apologies aren’t necessary, but forgiveness is. People will give you their opinions on how to do things better, what you’ve done wrong and right, what you should or shouldn’t do and how they would change the world if they were in charge. It can hurt your feelings, it can crush your spirit, and it can destroy you if you let it. Understanding they have no clear concept of what your life is like is essential. Bitterness breeds bad days. Forgiveness allows you to love them anyway and move on. 

~ Getting a tattoo didn’t hurt half as bad as I thought it would. 

~ One day at a time is thinking too far ahead....it's about the moment.

~ My children are expert counters. They’ve counted months, weeks, days, hours & time differences. And they know if I’m counting to 10, they should hide. 

~ Always close the sunroof. You never know when there will be a flood.

~ Love notes from your daughter can often be the glue that keeps the whole day from falling apart. 

~We live in a bubble. 

~The fact that celebrity “issues” are bigger news stories than military casualties always has and always will annoy me. 

~ It's the little things that makes me happy. Like being able to wash my hair AND shave 
my legs all in the same shower.

~ Pick your battles. Toy Story Cowboy boots go with just about anything, including Elmo swimming trunks. 

~ I have the GREATEST people in my life. My circle is huge and my friends never cease to blow me away.

~ I am “assembly required” retarded.

~The phone company will accept a check made out to the lawn guy, but the lawn guy won't accept a check made out to the bug man. 

~ Prayer is my daily vitamin. 

~ I can play sports, shoot guns, bows & arrows, but I CANNOT play “airplanes”. Carson has made that clear. The first attempt I almost killed him. 

~ I have INCREDIBLE “stand in the gappers”. 

~ This is been one of the most challenging years of my life. Yet, I wouldn’t do anything differently.

~ I have made it....again. Conquered every doubt, fear and question that I’d get through it.  And once again, am stronger for it. 

~ I AM BLESSED.

Be prepared. You're up against far more than you can handle on your own. Take all the help you can get, every weapon God has issued, so that when it's all over but the shouting you'll still be on your feet. Truth, righteousness, peace, faith, and salvation are more than words. Learn how to apply them. You'll need them throughout your life. God's Word is an indispensable weapon. In the same way, prayer is essential in this ongoing warfare. Pray hard and long. Pray for your brothers and sisters. Keep your eyes open. Keep each other's spirits up so that no one falls behind or drops out.” Ephesians 6:13-18 The Message

Wow!  Hope that helped you to realize what these families have to face each time a new soldier is sent off to battle.  Hug those around you and thank God for your blessings.  Amazing words, Bria!

No comments: