Monday, January 24, 2011

Cold, Cloudy Days

Some days you've just got it going on.  You put your feet on the floor and think, I'm gonna own this day.  Then some days, you realize that this day is gonna own you.  I love the imagery of the idea that some days you are the windshield and somedays you are the bug!  It brings it all home in one sentence. 

My oldest child and my youngest child are moaners. Neither of them really cry all that much, but they just let out this small moan when they aren't having the greatest day.  It sums up their feelings in one stiffled, little sound.  I totally understand how they feel when I hear it. 


If we had no winter, the spring would not be so pleasant:
if we did not sometimes taste of adversity,
prosperity would not be so welcome.
Anne Bradstreet

In this weather, I hear the moans more and more and they aren't always coming from One-of-a-Kind or Tiny.  They are coming from me.  When  I was teaching, I read an article about how teacher/student burnout is most common in the month of February.  Maybe mommy/son burnout is most common in this time as well. 


My body physically aches for the warm sun to light upon my neck.  I want to see little buds start popping out on the few trees I have outside my kitchen window.  My children long for warm recess filled school days.  We are fair weather friends that are yearning for warmer afternoons and sun-filled days. 

Sometimes our fate resembles a fruit tree in winter.
Who would think that those branches would turn
green again and blossom, but we hope it, we know it.
 
But, it isn't going to happen any time soon.  We still have several more months of this winter weather.  It's ok.  It's the nature of the beast.  Spring will be here in time and the waiting will make or hearts grow so much fonder of the fair weather.

No comments: