Friday, January 7, 2011

It doesn't take much...

 

Yesterday was bad.  It started out pretty good, but went south oh-so quickly.  My mother, mother-in-law, and sister all got my wrath.  It was absolute chaos!

The Committee and I have come up with some New Year's resolutions.  Some are traditional, some aren't.  I am trying so hard to live by the "rules" we have set for ourselves.  I had given it my all yesterday, and I was fed up!  I had had enough!  It just wasn't working out for me.  But, rather than give up, I tried to keep on keeping on. 

You are thinking to yourself...so what?  Get a grip.  We all have days like that.  You are right.  We do.  I think it is what we do in the throws of everyday life that make us who we are.  Usually, I'm one to walk away and give up.  I love to throw the towel in and go to my happy place. 

But, yesterday that just wasn't an option.  I had those little creatures on my shoulders murmuring in my ears about giving in or going on.  I also had that little voice inside my soul telling me how easy it would be to let the productivity die for the day.  But, I'm starting to change that voice.  I'm starting to put on my big girl pants and keep on truckin'. 

One of my personal resolutions is to worry only about my house and what we will do each day.  I tend to be a fixer.  I spend too much time worrying about those around me and fix all of their problems.  This leads to a lot of wasteful energy...people are going to do what they are going to do regardless of my worries.  So, as for my house, we will keep our nose in our own business, our mouth shut, and our nose to the grindstone!

"If God gives such attention to the appearance of wildflowers—most of which are never even seen—don't you think he'll attend to you, take pride in you, and do his best for you? What I'm trying to do here is to get you to relax, to not be so preoccupied with getting, so you can respond to God's giving. People who don't know God and the way he works fuss over these things, but you know both God and how he works. Steep your life in God-reality, God-initiative, God-provisions. Don't worry about missing out. You'll find all your everyday human concerns will be met. Give your entire attention to what God is doing right now, and don't get worked up about what may or may not happen tomorrow. God will help you deal with whatever hard things come up when the time comes." ~Matthew 6:30-34

Well, at every turn yesterday, this resolution was tested.  I'd given it my best, but I was starting to give up on my internal vows for the New Year.  Sometimes, I think we have to stop, assess what's around us, and try to get our head back in the game.  That's what I did...and this is BIG for me!! 

At the end of the day, I was getting ready for my shower.  I was proud that I had kept it all together.  I decided to treat myself...nothing major, mind you.  You see, all around my house is boy...little boys, big boys, boy dogs, boy toys, boy food, big boy drinks, all boy!  Except for my girl dog...Shelby-doodle.  She is my one girl comrade...but, she's not that much help.  She's crazy.  So, the one girl on my side is nuts.  Love her...but, not too much help! 

So, occasionally, I have to let my girly side take over.  It's never anything gigantic, because my girly side isn't all that gigantic.  But, on this night, I came across these sweet, little pink washcloths I had purchased a while back.  They are soft and deliciously pink.  They make me happy.  They were my treat after a long day.  They made my heart happy.  This will ease me down off the ledge in order to face the world another day.

So, long story short...give it all you've got til you can't give anymore...then go back to the basics...find your inner happiness and regroup...then get back on the saddle another day!  Good luck in your resolutions...I sure need any luck I can find in sticking to mine!

No comments: